L'Una (The One)

I once fell in love
With a green T-shirt.
Or rather its wearer.
I had already fallen in love
With her words.
She was standing there
Focused, ready,
Gazing into the middle distance.
Her phone half-forgotten in her hand.
She was perfect.

We had been chatting for some time.
Online, on our phones.
More and more
And more
Without knowing
What the other looked like.

When I saw the photo,
I thought, “Let this be her.”
It was.

We said, “We should meet.”
We were far apart
Though our minds were so close.
So close.
We said, “Let’s meet halfway.”
And we did.

We met at a hotel.
She said, “This is awkward.
Let’s go out.”
We walked and talked.
And drank prosecco.

Later
She was wearing a T-shirt.
It wasn’t green.
I said, “We needn’t do anything.”
Then I felt her soft lips
On mine.

Everyone said, “This isn’t love.
This is a yoyo.”
We said, “This isn’t love.
This is a yoyo.”

It wasn’t.
 It was love
For a long and wonderful
And sometimes very painful time.

And even when it was over,
We were still in love,
Ms. Green T-shirt and I.

I still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this shit?